News for 'Col P S Purohit'

Lt Col Purohit welcomed with 'Jai Shri Ram' chants in Pune

Lt Col Purohit welcomed with 'Jai Shri Ram' chants in Pune

Rediff.com3 Aug 2025

Lieutenant Colonel Prasad Purohit, acquitted in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, received a grand welcome upon his return to Pune. Supporters celebrated his acquittal after a special court noted a lack of reliable evidence against him.

'Grateful to those who stood by us': Lt Col Purohit after acquittal

'Grateful to those who stood by us': Lt Col Purohit after acquittal

Rediff.com31 Jul 2025

Soon after the verdict, celebrations broke out outside Lt Colonel Purohit's residence, where supporters burst firecrackers and distributed sweets to mark the court's decision.

The crucial twist in Lt Col Purohit's case

The crucial twist in Lt Col Purohit's case

Rediff.com30 Jun 2012

Lt Col Purohit, it is now being reported quoting statements made by officers in the court of inquiry, had actually infiltrated Hindu radical outfit Abhinav Bharat while being posted at Pachmarhi in Madhya Pradesh to snoop in on plans to carry out terror strikes in India.

Revealed: Godman's links with Lt Col Purohit

Revealed: Godman's links with Lt Col Purohit

Rediff.com25 Nov 2008

In a state of trance, Pandey reveals that while working for the Indian Air Force, he got in touch with Purohit who was in the military intelligence at that time.

Explosive revelations of Lt Col Purohit

Explosive revelations of Lt Col Purohit

Rediff.com14 Nov 2008

The arrest of Hindu activists in connection with the Malegaon blast has put several investigating agencies on rewind mode. If the revelations by Lieutenant Colonel Srikant Purohit are to be believed then several bomb blasts in the country need to be reinvestigated.

After 9 years, Lt Col Purohit walks out of jail

After 9 years, Lt Col Purohit walks out of jail

Rediff.com24 Aug 2017

The Indian Army's military police and quick response team escorted Colonel Purohit out of the jail.

Lt Col Purohit's laptop keeps cops guessing

Lt Col Purohit's laptop keeps cops guessing

Rediff.com21 Nov 2008

The laptop, handed over by the Army after a week of Purohit's arrest, was examined at a forensic laboratory during which, the probe agencies, claimed that he was often visiting anti-Muslim and jihadi websites, sources attached with the investigations said. But, the investigators did not get details about the composition about the saffron outfit -- Abhinav Bharat -- whose cadres are alleged to be behind the blast in Malegaon on September 29 which they were looking for.

Malegaon blast: HC rejects Lt Col Purohit's discharge plea

Malegaon blast: HC rejects Lt Col Purohit's discharge plea

Rediff.com2 Jan 2023

Among other grounds for seeking discharge, Purohit had claimed lack of sanction under relevant provisions of the Code of Criminal Procedure to prosecute him.

Malegaon probe: Lt Col Purohit in more trouble

Malegaon probe: Lt Col Purohit in more trouble

Rediff.com18 Nov 2008

However, the Pune ATS moved an application seeking the army officer's custody in another case registered with them. Purohit was arrested earlier this month in connection with the September 29 Malegaon blast that killed six and injured 80. He is among ten, including sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, arrested for their alleged role in the blast.

'NIA failed to gather proof against Col Purohit'

'NIA failed to gather proof against Col Purohit'

Rediff.com21 Jun 2011

The National Investigation Agency (NIA), on Monday, did not name Lt Col Prasad Srikant Purohit as one of the main conspirators in the 2007 Samjhauta Express blast case. Purohit was earlier being considered as one of the main accused in the case, but NIA's revelation has brought in a new twist in the tale.

Malegaon blasts case: Lt Col Purohit gets bail after 9 years

Malegaon blasts case: Lt Col Purohit gets bail after 9 years

Rediff.com21 Aug 2017

The apex court said it has imposed certain conditions on Purohit while granting bail.

VHP defends Sadhvi Pragya, Col Purohit

VHP defends Sadhvi Pragya, Col Purohit

Rediff.com26 Apr 2011

The Vishwa Hindu Parishad on Monday came in defence of Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur and Lt Colonel Prasad Purohit, prime accused in the Malegaon blasts, and called the imposition of Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act against them as 'political conspiracy'.

SC rejects Lt Col Purohit's discharge plea in Malegaon blast case

SC rejects Lt Col Purohit's discharge plea in Malegaon blast case

Rediff.com30 Mar 2023

The Supreme Court has junked a plea filed by Lieutenant Colonel Prasad Shrikant Purohit seeking discharge in the 2008 Malegaon blast case.

Nanded blast: CBI grills Lt Col Purohit

Nanded blast: CBI grills Lt Col Purohit

Rediff.com3 May 2009

After reopening the probe into the Nanded blast of 2006, the Central Bureau of Investigation has recently taken custody of Army's tainted Lieutenant-Colonel, Srikant Purohit, and questioned him at length about his role in the incident.

Joined Malegaon conspirators on Army duty: Lt Col Purohit to HC

Joined Malegaon conspirators on Army duty: Lt Col Purohit to HC

Rediff.com6 Jan 2021

The high court was hearing Purohit's application seeking that all charges against him in the case be dropped. Six people were killed and 100 others injured when a bomb strapped to a motorcycle went off near a mosque in Malegaon city in Nashik district of Maharashtra on September 29, 2008.

Malegaon blast accused Lt Col Purohit approaches SC seeking bail

Malegaon blast accused Lt Col Purohit approaches SC seeking bail

Rediff.com28 Apr 2017

The Bombay high court had on April 25 granted bail to Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, accused of plotting the September 2008 Malegaon blast, but rejected the bail plea of co-accused Purohit saying the charges against him were of grave nature.

Samjhauta blast case: No proof against Lt Col Purohit says NIA chief

Samjhauta blast case: No proof against Lt Col Purohit says NIA chief

Rediff.com20 Apr 2016

The National Investigation Agency on Tuesday said there was no proof against Lt Col Prasad Purohit in the Samjhauta blast case.

Why terror probe MUST go beyond Lt Col Purohit

Why terror probe MUST go beyond Lt Col Purohit

Rediff.com16 Jul 2012

The Lt Colonel Shrikant Purohit case has taken a pretty interesting turn. The claim of the suspected mastermind of 2007 Samjhauta Express bombing and other terror cases that he was not one of the terrorists but an infiltrator on a military intelligence operation has certainly raised eyebrows.

Malegaon blast: Bombay HC rejects Lt Col Purohit's bail

Malegaon blast: Bombay HC rejects Lt Col Purohit's bail

Rediff.com9 Nov 2011

The Bombay high court on Wednesday rejected the bail plea of 2008 Malegaon blast accused Lt Colonel Prasad Shrikant Purohit but allowed liberty to co-accused Ajay Rahirkar on certain conditions.

Malegaon 2006 Blasts Case: HC Discharges Accused, Slams NIA Probe

Malegaon 2006 Blasts Case: HC Discharges Accused, Slams NIA Probe

Rediff.com23 Apr 2026

The Bombay High Court has discharged four accused in the 2006 Malegaon blasts case, criticising the NIA for ignoring evidence collected by the previous investigating agency. The court's decision leaves the question of responsibility for the blasts, which killed 31 people, unanswered.

Malegaon blasts: Parrikar asks army to hand over all documents to Col Purohit

Malegaon blasts: Parrikar asks army to hand over all documents to Col Purohit

Rediff.com21 Apr 2016

Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar on Thursday said that he has asked the army to provide Lt Col Prasad Purohit with all the documents he has sought to prove his innocence in the Malegaon blasts case.

Malegaon blasts: Lt Col Purohit writes to Modi, pleads innocence

Malegaon blasts: Lt Col Purohit writes to Modi, pleads innocence

Rediff.com30 Jun 2014

Lieutenant-Colonel Srikant Purohit,one of the accused in the 2008 Malegaon case has written to Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Home Minister Rajnath Singh, alleging that the Maharashtra Anti Terrorrism Squad has fabricated the case against him.

Malegaon blast victims move HC against Pragya, Purohit acquittal

Malegaon blast victims move HC against Pragya, Purohit acquittal

Rediff.com9 Sep 2025

Family members of victims of the 2008 Malegaon bomb blast have challenged the acquittal of the accused, including Pragya Singh Thakur and Prasad Purohit, in the Bombay High Court, citing faulty investigation and the nature of conspiracy.

Malegaon blast: Sadhvi Pragya Thakur gets bail, Col Purohit stays in jail

Malegaon blast: Sadhvi Pragya Thakur gets bail, Col Purohit stays in jail

Rediff.com25 Apr 2017

The court has asked Sadhvi Pragya Thakur to pay a surety of Rs 5 lakh and surrender her passport to the National Investigation Agency.

5 judges, 2 agencies: The long road to Malegaon blast verdict

5 judges, 2 agencies: The long road to Malegaon blast verdict

Rediff.com31 Jul 2025

The 2008 Malegaon bomb blast case, spanning nearly 17 years, was marked by changes in investigating agencies and five different judges, contributing to significant delays, according to victims and accused.

Malegaon case: Court notes discrepancies in ATS, NIA probe

Malegaon case: Court notes discrepancies in ATS, NIA probe

Rediff.com1 Aug 2025

A special court, in its acquittal order in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, has highlighted a running battle between the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) and the National Investigation Agency (NIA), pointing out stark contradictions in their probe.

Mere suspicion not proof: Court in Malegaon verdict

Mere suspicion not proof: Court in Malegaon verdict

Rediff.com31 Jul 2025

A special court acquitted seven accused in the 2008 Malegaon bomb blast case, citing a lack of cogent and reliable evidence. The court emphasized that mere suspicion cannot replace real proof and highlighted loopholes in the prosecution's case.

Purohit is an aberration, says Army chief

Purohit is an aberration, says Army chief

Rediff.com8 Jan 2011

Army Chief General V K Singh said there was no communalism in the service and officers such as Malegaon blast accused Lieutenant Colonel Shrikant Purohit were only an "aberration".

2008 Malegaon blast case: How investigation unfolded

2008 Malegaon blast case: How investigation unfolded

Rediff.com31 Jul 2025

A detailed timeline of the 2008 Malegaon blasts case, from the initial explosion to the acquittal of all accused in 2025.

7 acquitted in Malegaon blasts case get HC notice

7 acquitted in Malegaon blasts case get HC notice

Rediff.com18 Sep 2025

The Bombay High Court has issued notices to those acquitted in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, following an appeal by victims' families, raising questions about the investigation and seeking convictions.

Sonia, Rahul should apologise to nation for 'Hindu terror' claim: BJP

Sonia, Rahul should apologise to nation for 'Hindu terror' claim: BJP

Rediff.com31 Jul 2025

The BJP has accused the Congress party of fabricating the theory of 'Hindu terror' to undermine Narendra Modi and appease Muslim voters. This statement follows the acquittal of seven individuals in the Malegaon blast case. The BJP demands compensation for the acquitted and an apology from the prosecution.

Not open gate for appeals in 2008 Malegaon blast case acquittals, says HC

Not open gate for appeals in 2008 Malegaon blast case acquittals, says HC

Rediff.com16 Sep 2025

"You (appellants) have to indicate whether they were witnesses or not. Give us details. This is not an open gate for everyone," the HC said and posted the matter for further hearing on Wednesday.

Malegaon case: Court questions ATS tactics, cites torture claims

Malegaon case: Court questions ATS tactics, cites torture claims

Rediff.com2 Aug 2025

A special court acquitting seven persons in the 2008 Malegaon blast case has raised serious concerns over allegations of torture and illegal detention by Maharashtra ATS officers. The court noted that witnesses claimed their statements were taken under coercion.

Court debunks Abhinav Bharat's role in Malegaon blast case

Court debunks Abhinav Bharat's role in Malegaon blast case

Rediff.com2 Aug 2025

A special court acquitted seven individuals in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, challenging the prosecution's assertion that the right-wing group Abhinav Bharat was responsible. The court emphasized that the organization remains unbanned by the government.

'If not them then who did it': Asks organisation helping Malegaon victims

'If not them then who did it': Asks organisation helping Malegaon victims

Rediff.com31 Jul 2025

An organisation that helped the families of victims in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, has expressed displeasure over the acquittal of seven accused and sought to know if they were not involved in the incident, then who were responsible for it.

SIMI could be behind Malegaon blast, Pragya's lawyer tells court

SIMI could be behind Malegaon blast, Pragya's lawyer tells court

Rediff.com3 Oct 2024

Local people prevented the police from reaching the site immediately after the blast and it could have been done to shield the accused, said Thakur's lawyer, advocate JP Mishra.

Malegaon witness alleges ATS tried to frame Yogi; court discards claim

Malegaon witness alleges ATS tried to frame Yogi; court discards claim

Rediff.com2 Aug 2025

A witness in the 2008 Malegaon blast case claimed he was tortured and forced by the Maharashtra ATS to name Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath. The special court acquitted all seven accused, citing unreliable evidence and involuntary statements.

Politics behind why justice eluded Malegaon, 7/11 victims: Ex-IPS officer

Politics behind why justice eluded Malegaon, 7/11 victims: Ex-IPS officer

Rediff.com22 Aug 2025

Former IPS officer Meeran Borwankar claims political interference hindered justice in the Malegaon and 7/11 blasts, and the Narendra Dabholkar murder case. She cited instances of pressure on investigators and prosecutors.

Malegaon case verdict likely on Thursday; Pragya's fate in balance

Malegaon case verdict likely on Thursday; Pragya's fate in balance

Rediff.com30 Jul 2025

A special NIA court is likely to deliver its verdict in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, which killed six persons and injured over 100. Seven accused, including Pragya Thakur and Prasad Purohit, face charges under UAPA and IPC.

Malegaon blast: Court says SIMI angle unproven, faults probe for gaps

Malegaon blast: Court says SIMI angle unproven, faults probe for gaps

Rediff.com1 Aug 2025

A special court acquitting seven persons in the 2008 Malegaon blast case questioned why the investigating agency did not explore the potential involvement of the banned outfit Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI).